Wednesday, February 25, 2015

BAKED Feta Steaks- My new favorite way to make steaks!


I recently stumbled across this recipe for baked steaks, and as skeptical as I was that they would really turn out tasting good (baking a steak?!), I decided to give them a try. And WHOA were they good!

The original recipe calls for bleu cheese, which is definitely the more common cheese to use on meats, but bleu cheese grosses me out. So I swapped it out for feta and LOVED the salty, creamy flavor.

This has become my new favorite way to make steaks. They are so tasty and surprisingly cook great in the oven. I really don't think you'll notice that a grill was never used. Give them a try and let me know what you think!

Ingredients:
2- 6oz Filets
Cavender's Greek Seasoning (looks like this and located with the other spices)
2T butter (one per steak)
2T crumbled feta cheese (one per steak) 
2T olive oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat olive oil on a skillet until the pan and oil are extra hot. Generously sprinkle Cavender's on both sides of each steak, pressing the seasoning into the steaks. Place both steaks on the skillet and sear each side for two minutes. Transfer the steaks to a greased baking dish and place in the oven for 18 minutes.

While the steaks are baking, mix together butter and feta cheese. (Don't melt the butter! I just mashed the two together with a fork- you want it to be clumpy.)

Remove the steaks from the oven, add the butter/cheese mixture on top of each steak, and return to the oven for 2 minutes.

Allow the steaks to rest outside of the oven for 3-5 minutes before serving.

This baking time will produce a medium steak if you purchase thick-cut filets like we do. Adjust the time accordingly if you like your steaks more rare or well-done.

I served our steaks with homemade mac & cheese and Publix SteamInBag broccoli. It would also be great with steakhouse creamed spinach, garlic parmesan mashed potatoes, or twice-baked potatoes!

facebooktwitterpinterestbloglovininstagramfeed

1 comment:

  1. Garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete